Students may apply for an orthopaedic surgery rotation through Visiting Student Application Service. During the rotation, the student will function as an integral member of the team and will be exposed to patient care on the inpatient floor, and in the emergency room, outpatient setting and operating room. Students will have an opportunity to spend time in some of the subspecialty areas of orthopedics including joint replacement, sports medicine, trauma, foot and ankle, pediatric orthopedics, and hand, depending on their interests. Students should have a knowledge base in anatomy relevant to surgical approaches, orthopedic injuries, and basic concepts for evaluation and treatment. Students are invited and welcome to attend weekly resident didactics and conferences hosted by the Department of Orthopedic Surgery.
Virtual Visiting Medical Student Rotation
Visiting away rotations have been an important part of how medical students applying to orthopaedic surgery residency training programs have been evaluated. Due to Covid-19, the American Orthopaedic Association (AOA) and Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors (CORD) have agreed to suspend all on-site clinical rotations in 2020. The Department of Orthopedic Surgery at NYU Winthrop Hospital has developed a 4 week virtual elective rotation. The rotation will allow interested students to get a first-hand account of our program. It will highlight our institution, faculty, and resident life. It will showcase our faculty’s dedication to resident education and our substantial case volume. It will allow our faculty to individually assess each student. Rotations will take place monthly from July 2020 through December 2020.
Students who are accepted for participation in the 4 week NYU Winthrop Hospital Orthopedic Surgery Virtual Visiting Medical Student Rotation will:
- Participate in our Monday morning subspecialty conference which includes a 1 hour lecture on rotating topics.
- Participate in our monthly research meetings. Students are welcome to participate in our ongoing or new projects.
- Participate in our Friday morning didactics starting with Orthopedic Grand Rounds for 1 hour, followed by a 2 hour lecture series utilizing the Orthobullets PASS curriculum.
- Participate in our monthly journal clubs
- Participate in weekly medical student specific didactic lectures
- Have the opportunity to do a 20 minute presentation on an orthopedic topic of their choice
- Be paired with both an orthopedic resident and orthopedic faculty advisor to better understand the benefits of our training program and help navigate the residency application process
Any students who are interested in applying for our Orthopedic Surgery Virtual Visiting Medical Student Rotation should complete the online application and email it to Jessica Romano, our Residency Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us directly. We appreciate your understanding during these complicated times.
Mark G. Grossman, MD
Residency Program Director
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
NYU Winthrop Hospital