Outside of normal business hours (M-F 8:30-5), reporters may call the Hospital’s pager operator at 516-663-0333 and ask to be connected with a member of the Public Affairs staff.
NYU Winthrop Hospital receives numerous requests for interviews and information about the hospital, its staff, employees, and patients. To ensure that media requests are handled quickly and accurately, and do not disrupt the delivery of care or breach patient confidentiality, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Please call the Department of Public Affairs at 516-663-2234 to arrange all interviews or background conversations with any member of NYU Winthrop’s staff. Public Affairs tracks all inquiries from the media, and when appropriate, can provide additional or more appropriate sources for your story.
- To protect the privacy of our patients, Public Affairs must accompany all reporters, film crews and photographers on the Hospital campus. While we make every effort to accommodate requests for filming, our first priority is to ensure that the presence of cameras does not disrupt patient care.
- Upon request, a one-word condition will be made available to any member of the media by Public Affairs. The following terms are recommended by the American Hospital Association:
- Undetermined – Patient awaiting physician assessment.
- Good – Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
- Fair – Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious – Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- Critical – Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
- Advance notice of on-site interviews is necessary so Public Affairs can arrange for a room for media interviews or shoots, notify the patient care areas involved, and line up the appropriate patients, families and NYU Winthrop staff for your story.