At NYU Winthrop’s Breast Health Center, we recognize that patients often need more than just treatment. To help them navigate through the process of fighting breast cancer, we offer various types of counseling and support services to ease their stress and anxiety and provide them with all the resources they may need:
- A licensed Breast Health Center Social Worker will provide you and your family with emotional support, navigate through insurance, financial and other logistical issues and refer you to appropriate wellness programs and local resources.
- Breast Imaging Nurse Navigators and a Breast Health Center Nurse Navigator who help patients move seamlessly through the many diagnostic tests, procedures, physician visits and treatments.
- Genetic counseling and testing which seeks to identify and reduce risk, prevent disease and increase life expectancy among patients.
- Post treatment survivorship summary/program that helps you manage your health in the long-term.
- Referrals to physical and occupational therapy services.
- Lifestyle and support group programs such as survivor support groups, yoga, strength training and nutrition.
Breast Cancer Programs and Support Groups
Perlmutter Cancer Center at NYU Winthrop Hospital provides free virtual support groups, and programs.
Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Support Group
For those who have recently received a breast cancer diagnosis, this group meets on the fourth Friday of the month from 2:30 to 4:00PM. For more information, call 516-663-2556.
Post-Treatment Breast Cancer Support Group
For those who have finished breast cancer treatment, this group meets on the second Friday of the month from 2:30 to 4:00PM. For more information, call 516-663-2556.
Moving for Life Dance Exercise for Health®
Moving For Life is now offering free online classes for all breast patients and survivors. This low-impact dance exercise class combines elements of aerobics, cardio, stretching, and yoga to address your needs such as lymphedema, joint pain, neuropathy, and limited range of motion in a fun and safe way. All abilities are welcome, and exercises can be done standing or seated. Learn more.
Peer to Peer Support for Breast Cancer Survivors
This network of over 100 volunteers is comprised of breast cancer survivors who can relate to what you are going through. These professionally-trained volunteers are supervised by licensed social workers, and we can match you with a survivor who had a similar diagnosis, and treatment. For more information, call the Adelphi Breast Cancer Hotline at 1-800-877-8077.
Strength For Life, a nonprofit whose mission is to empower, inspire, and strengthen through exercise, offers free online classes facilitated by a certified cancer exercise specialist. Learn more.