The Division of Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery at NYU Winthrop Hospital on Long Island offers state-of-the-art urogynecology procedures for women suffering from pelvic floor conditions. Our experienced urogynecologists evaluate and treat all forms of urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and other pelvic floor disorders.
Urogynecologic Diagnostic Testing
Advanced diagnostic methods include:
- Multichannel urodynamics
- POPQ diagrams
- Office cystoscopy
- Post Void Residual Testing
- Pressure flow studies
- Urethral pressure profile
- Valsalva leak point pressure
- Interstim sacral neuromodulation
Leaders in Urogynecology Procedures
Our sophisticated diagnostic testing and urogynecology procedures provide our urogynecologists with a better, more holistic understanding of pelvic floor disorders and the most efficient ways to treat them which include:
- Abdominal and robotic pelvic reconstructive surgery
- Abdominal and laparoscopic urethropexy (MMK or Burch)
- Abdominal and vaginal paravaginal repair
- Vaginal sling – helps control stress urinary incontinence
- Anterior/posterior colporrhaphy – vaginal wall repair
- Sacrospinous ligament fixation – repairs the complete prolapse of the vaginal canal
- McCall culdopexy – method of supporting the vaginal cuff during a vaginal hysterectomy
- Colpocleisis – closure of the vagina to treat vaginal prolapse in older women
- Repair of perineal breakdown
- Fistula repair – treats abnormal connections between pelvic organs
- Enterocele repair/prevention – closes off a weakness or hernia at the top of the vagina
NYU Winthrop’s highly trained urogynecologists in the Division of Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, within the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, have complete access to a wide spectrum of state-of-the-art facilities and equipment including:
- Expanded Gynecology Oncology department with four gynecology oncologists, an active surgical presence, and an extensive didactic program
- Reproductive/Endocrinology & Infertility Division staffed by 6 full-time Board certified reproductive endocrinologists
- Two full-time urogynecologists who perform advanced diagnostic testing and urogynecology procedures
- Fellowship-trained pelvic reconstructive surgeons
- Use of advanced urogynecology procedures such as biofeedback, functional electrical stimulation, transurethral collagen injections and neuromodulation
- Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery
Internationally Recognized Urogynecology Research
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology has a distinguished scholastic tradition with many of the members currently involved in clinical and/or basic science research or having published in peer review journals.
George Lazarou, MD, FACOG, FACS, NYU Winthrop’s Chief of Gynecology and Director of Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, recently achieved an award for ‘Best Basic Science Project’ at the prestigious International Urogynecologic Society Meeting.
Dr. Lazarou has clinical interests in voiding dysfunction, pelvic anatomy, and minimally invasive pelvic surgery such as vaginal reconstructive pelvic surgery. He has trained and mentored fellows who graduated and went on to become directors of programs in Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery.
Training Tomorrow’s Physicians
As a teaching hospital, NYU Winthrop Hospital’s prominent urogynecologic surgeons teach leading-edge surgical techniques for incontinence and pelvic floor disorders to the top echelon of medical residents.